Welcome to ORTIS
The ‘On-line Resource through Integrated STEM’ (ORTIS) project is a collaboration between Quinnipiac University and Connecticut K-12 school districts (currently Hamden, New Haven, North Haven, Meriden and Wallingford) to develop on-line science curricula units for middle and high schools based on project-based learning activities and the engineering design process (EDP). The objectives of the project are to:
- Develop middle and high school science teachers’ content knowledge and instructional skills regarding;
- the National Framework for K-12 Science Education,
- essential learning outcomes for students through discipline specific teaching & learning,
- engineering education strands and
- the use of an engineering design process applicable to K-12 education through its implementation as a method to develop new science curricula units.
- Create new curricula units for K-12 Science based on the National Framework of K-12 Science Education and make those available on-line to all members of the collaboration.
- Share the curricula development model with other STEM education and partnerships in order to grow the on-line resource beyond the scope of the initial ORTIS project development.
The project is designed to ensure that the units developed are based on best practice STEM teaching and learning activities, which will be piloted in participants’ classrooms. Ultimately, the project is specifically designed to directly impact the classroom teaching and learning experience.